Apple, pear and almond loaf
It’s the beginning of apple season, and I’ve been hanging out for some Farmgate Apples from my friends Katie and Beau at the Marrickville markets. A lovely Sunday routine consists of waking, breakfasting and heading down there and wandering the market, bumping into people and seeing what delicious produce is available and noticing the subtle changes week to week of what’s available. Today it was piles of apples and pears, while noticing the fewer number of plums, and the appearance of figs…Hopefully soon there will be a rather immense fig jam undertaking occurring soon!
Recipe: Apple, Pear and Almond Loaf
- 75g (1/2 cup) ground almonds
- 2 (about 135g each) apples, peeled, cored
- 1 firm pear
- 300g (2 cups) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 100g butter, melted
- 80ml (1/3 cup) milk
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- extra brown sugar for top
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 8 x 18cm (base measurement) non-stick loaf pan and line with baking paper.
- Gently toast the ground almonds in a small pan over medium-high heat, being careful so as not to burn it. Alternatively, roast whole raw almonds in the oven until you can smell them (around 10 minutes on 200C) then process until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Coarsely grate 1 of the apples and the pear. Quarter remaining apple and thinly slice lengthways.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium bowl. Add the almonds and sugar, and mix well. Whisk the butter, milk and egg together in a jug until well combined. Add to the flour mixture with the grated apple and use a wooden spoon to mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared pan, smooth surface with back of spoon. Arrange apple slices, slightly overlapping, over top of the cake mixture and sprinkle with the extra brown sugar.
- Cook in preheated oven for 65 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove loaf from pan and place, apple-side up, on a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
I also added a teaspoon of chai spice mix
Original recipe is apple and hazelnut loaf from Taste.com.au
Cooking time (duration): 20
Number of servings (yield): 8